[tlhIngan Hol] New words from Hamletmachine

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 15:07:42 PST 2023

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 4:31 AM nIqolay Q <niqolay0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> maj! I'm a little confused by one small thing. What's the difference
> between a {cha'neH} and a {DeS reStav}? Does {cha'neH} include the whole
> forearm, whereas {DeS reStav} only applies to one side? Or are they
> synonymous?

During this year's Saarbrücken qepHom'a' (at which I was not present), I
asked Lieven to convey to Dr. Okrand a request to clarify the difference
between {[DeS] reStav} and {cha'neH}. Dr. Okrand's answer came to me via
Lieven, and is quoted below:

--- begin quote ---

>>> It works like this:

For legs:

Entire lower part of the leg: {’uS cha’neH}

Front of lower part of the leg (shin): {’uS reStav}

Back of the lower part of the leg (calf): {Do’ghI’}

Entire upper part of the leg (thigh): {’uS nev’ob}

Unless specificity is called for, {’uS} is generally left out of {’uS
reStav} and {’uS nev’ob}; even when the context is clear, however, {’uS} is
seldom if ever left out of {’uS cha’neH}.

{’uS} tends to be used with {Do’ghI’} only if a distinction or comparison
is being made with {DeS Do’ghI’} (see below).

For arms:

Entire lower part of the arm (forearm): {cha’neH}

Outer part of the forearm (extending from the back of the hand to outer
part of the elbow): {DeS reStav}

Inner part of the forearm (extending from the palm to the elbow pit [{DeS
tutren}]): {DeS Do’ghI’}

Entire upper part of the arm: {DeS nev’ob}

Unless specificity is called for, {DeS} is generally left out of  {DeS
reStav} and {DeS nev’ob}; even when the context is clear, however, {DeS} is
seldom if ever left out of {DeS Do’ghI’}.

{DeS} tends to be used with {cha’neH} only if a distinction or comparison
is being made with {’uS cha’neH}.

Glossing {reStav} as “forearm” is a result of a mismatch between English
and Klingon. Since English has no everyday word corresponding to either
{DeS reStav} or {DeS Do’ghI’}, in a nontechnical conversation, these would
both probably be translated into English as simply “forearm.” If one
pointed to one’s {DeS reStav} and asked “what is this called in English?”
the most likely answer would be “forearm.” Likewise for {DeS Do’ghI’}. The
specificity is in Klingon only.
--- end quote ---

--
De'vID