[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIl

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 10:15:31 PST 2023

I’ve always been amused by the verbs for fingers and toes, with the actual fingers and toes being the verb with {-wI’} added. It’s weird, because the verb doesn’t mean “do what the thumb does” such that the thumb is the thing doing what the thumb does. {rIl} means “use the thumb”, and the thing which uses the thumb, deserving the title of “thumb user” isn’t the thumb. It’s the person the thumb is attached to.

I haven’t noticed any other use of {-wI’} comparable to this one.

A {jabwI’} serves food. {jab jabwI’}. A thumb doesn’t use a thumb. {not rIl'egh rIlwI’}.

I mean, maybe the cow in Restaurant at the End of the Universe could be described as {jab’egh jabwI’}, but that would be an uncommon circumstance.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)