[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIl

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 14 07:36:44 PST 2023

Klingon word: rIl
Part of speech: verb
Definition: use the thumb
Source: HQ:v10n2p9

nujDajDaq rIl'egh ghu
the baby sucks its thumb (HQ 10.2:8-9)
("at his/her mouth, the baby uses at him/herself his/her thumb")

Most commonly used in reference to a child using a thumb. Cf. the synonym {Sen} "use the thumb" which is most commonly used in reference to an adult using a thumb.  (HQ 10.2)

(HQ 10.2:7-8):  The two sets of words relating to thumb are pretty much interchangeable, though small children usually use {rIl} and {rIlwI'} rather than {Sen} and {SenwI'}.  Similarly, adults speaking to or about children tend to use {rIl} and {rIlwI'}.  Both words are used together in an idiomatic expression meaning everybody, everyone:  {SenwI'Du' rIlwI'Du' je}, literally "thumbs and thumbs".  This expression is often heard without the plural suffixes:  {SenwI' rIlwI' je}.

SEE:
rIlwI'  		thumb (n)

SEE ALSO:
Sen  		use the thumb (v)
SenwI'  		thumb (n)

Heng 		finger holes in a musical instrument (v)
'uy 		press down (v)

N.B. Do not confuse with the verb {rIl} "play (a wind instrument)", often with the noun {gheb} "horn (musical instrument)" -- {gheb rIl} !

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey