[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rejghun

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 08:42:41 PDT 2023

I’m sure it’s a coincidence, but look in the mirror while you say {rejghun} and “underwear”. It comes across as another one of those things that someone could video in English, then dub in Klingon and put English subtitles to.

We know that Okrand did this for specific movie scenes, and we know that he puts puns in the vocabulary, but not all his vocabulary has puns, and since he’s already developed the skill at matching lip movements between radically dissimilar phonemes, I wonder how often that when he comes up with new words he might use this old skill instead of forcing puns into everything.

We always look for puns, but I think we stopped looking for the “looks the same, but sounds different” feature of Klingon vocabulary.

Hmmm. I wonder if anyone has ever mapped the Klingon-English phonemes in the vocabulary that Okrand has exchanged for the words we know he did this for.

Surely, if that sort of nerd exists in the Universe, that nerd is on this list… I’m very nearly that nerd, but I don’t have that much time to give to the task.

Has this already been done? If not, is there anybody out there who would feel rewarded by such a project?

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)