[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Qop

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 15 07:25:23 PDT 2023

Klingon word: 	Qop
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	be worn out
Source: 	TKD:K-E

(KGT 163):  The word {Qop} means "be worn out" and is usually applied to old weapons, tools, mechanical devices, and the like. ... also used to mean "be dead", but only in reference to an animal that one was expecting to eat live. If a bowl of dead {qagh} (*gagh*, serpent worms) is placed before a Klingon, the disappointed diner will probably criticize the cook for preparing {qagh Qop} ("dead *gagh*"). The normal way to say "be dead", referring to a person or animal, is by using the form {Heghpu'} ("has died"):  {Heghpu' SuvwI'} ("The warrior has died").  It is not appropriate to say {SuvwI' Qop} ("dead warrior, worn-out warrior").

SEE:
QopmoH  	wear out (v) (TKD K-E only)

SEE ALSO:
ngo' 		be old (not new) (v)
notlh 		be obsolete (v)
Doy' 		be tired (v)
ghoQ 		be fresh, just killed [meat] (v)

Qap  		work,  function (v)
*QapHa' 	[malfunction, fail, be "out of order" ?]

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey