[tlhIngan Hol] *-Daq* / *-vo'* - Three questions about the *paq'batlh*

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Aug 3 06:08:14 PDT 2023

On 8/3/2023 7:40 AM, luis.chaparro--- via tlhIngan-Hol wrote:
>> {vengDaq taw vIghoS} means “I’m traveling along a road in the city.” It does not mean “I’m traveling along a road toward the city.” “Toward the city” is a direction, not a location. If you want to indicate that you are going toward the city, you are using the wrong verb. {taw vIghoS. veng vIjaH}.
> I'm sorry but I don't think I'm getting the point here. I thought *-Daq* expresses a location or a destination depending on context. De'vID and SuStel agreed, if I've understood them well, that the sentence*vengDaq taw vIghoS*  can be translated*I go along the road in the city*  (*vengDaq*  expressing a location where something happens) or*I go along the road toward the city*  (*vengDaq*  expressing a destination where I'm moving to). SuStel also interpreted*ghe'tor lojmIt'a'Daq 'Iw bIQtIq ghoS*  as*He goes along the River of Blood toward the great gates of Gre'thor*.
>
> Am I missing something?

I think charghwI' is being unnecessarily restrictive on the meaning of a
non-object noun with *-Daq* before the verb *ghoS.* He's assuming it
/never/ means a destination, only the place where the going happens. I
argue that this is the case of *jaH,* where the object of the verb is
the destination, so any other locative non-object noun in the sentence
cannot also be the destination, but it is not the case with *ghoS,*
where the object is the course followed, not necessarily the
destination, so the role of destination remains open to non-object
*-Daq* nouns.