[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon in Picard [spoiler-warning]

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 26 09:20:00 PDT 2023

You said the scene took place in a bar, so could this be an attempt at {XXX(m)ey tISop!} "Eat the [somethings [plural]]!" with another sign advertising *o'mat* for sale?  I 'm ashamed to admit I don't know pIqaD, but Is it possible that the writer or artist confused or mis-copied the letters /p/ and /Q/?

FYI for those who have forgotten that immortal line from "Heart of Glory" *O'Mat Gri T'M pffiots*, Okrand provided us with the "official" spellings at qep'a' 2019:

(qep’a’ 2019):  In the TNG episode "Heart of Glory", the Klingon ordering food and drink (from the food replicator) says he wants {'o'mat ghIrI'}, which is some sort of meat and pasta-like concoction. Then he specifies that the fat in the food should be boiled, one of the optional ways to prepare this dish. He says {tI'Im!} "boil (the fat [in the entrees])!"  He uses the prefix {tI-} because there are three separate entrees. Finally, he orders a special, rather pungent Klingon beverage known as {pIvyoch}.

Hmm... I wonder if the bar served {pIvyoch} as well?

Voragh