[tlhIngan Hol] wishlist for TKD 3ed

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 17:04:19 PDT 2023

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 1:18 PM Melanie Roney via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> So I think I've got everything (in fact, we'll have to make editorial
> decisions to cut some things, e.g., the section on comparisons is way too
> long right now, compared to other points of grammar; and we can't possibly
> explain how every verb is used grammatically).
> >

> If you've already put in the work, and the information is useful, don't
> cut it out.
>
> Similar arguments were made for the 2nd edition of the Star Trek
> Encyclopedia. The 3rd edition ended up including the longer entries.
>
> We're not getting a 4th edition TKD, so go ahead and include it in the 3rd.

I have to be able to convince the publisher that the new edition will sell
better than the previous one. The book still has to be accessible to a
general audience. Having 10 pages on how to compare two things in Klingon,
or having a 400+ page book that explains how to use every verb in detail,
might be desirable to hardcore Klingonists, but will likely be considered
off-putting to a general audience. Peppering a shorter book with examples
drawn from the movies/TV shows is more likely to result in it getting
published.

--
De'vID