[tlhIngan Hol] Go and come, know, impersonal verbs

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 13:57:03 PDT 2023

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 5:22 PM luis.chaparro--- via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> Thank you, De'vID and Lieven, for your answers!
>
> De'vID:
>
> > I don't think the weather words are impersonal. Their (typically
> unstated) subject is {muD} "the atmosphere".
>
> That's very interesting! So there are no impersonal verbs in Klingon at
> all?

I can't think of any.

> Lieven:
>
> > From the canon examples, it seems like {paS} is used more like the
> > second version, like when missing an appointment or being behind
> > schedule. You probably wouldn't use it to refer to the time of the day,
> > as in "oh, it's late".
>
> > My guess is that in Klingon, this is expressed by saying something like
> > {Dor pem} or similar.
>
> I like this, thank you! But sometimes you don't mean *It's late in the
> day*, but rather *It's late for something*, like in *It's late, we should
> go now or we will miss the train*. How could that be rendered in Klingon?
> Could we say something with *poH* or should we just recast?

But that's exactly the meaning of {paS}.

The canonical example is:
{jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb}
"Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has passed."

See:
http://klingonska.org/canon/1998-01-18b-news.txt

--
De'vID