[tlhIngan Hol] Go and come, know, impersonal verbs

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 09:56:33 PDT 2023

On Sun, Apr 9, 2023 at 4:55 PM luis.chaparro--- via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> Hi! I have three quick questions:
>
> 1. In English, if you want to say that you are approching the position of
> your interlocutor, you use the verb *come*: *I'm coming!* In German too:
> *Ich komme!*. But in Spanish we use *go*: *¡(Ya) voy!*. Does Klingon work
> like English/German, like Spanish or in a completely different way?

{ghoS} means both "approach" and "go away from", depending on context. I'd
use something like {qaghoSlI'} for "I'm on my way to you" (I think that's
what you mean by "I'm coming").

> 2. If I say something like: *When I saw it, I knew it would work*, the
> verb *know* doesn't actually mean *to have some knowledge*, but rather *to
> understand*, *to get to know*. You analyze the solution and you come to a
> conclusion: *It will work*. Should I use here *-choH*?: *Qap 'e'
> vISovchoH*. Or should I use some other verb?

I think you're just describing the verb {tlhoj}. {vIleghDI', Qap 'e'
vItlhoj}.

> 3. Are there other impersonal verbs in Klingon apart from meterological
> verbs like *SIS*?

I don't think the weather words are impersonal. Their (typically unstated)
subject is {muD} "the atmosphere".

> *It's cold / hot* is translated with *jIbIr / jItuj*. But how about *It's
> early / late*, for example?

I don't know if {'eq}/{paS} can be used for the time sense of "early/late
in the day". The only instances of its usage I'm aware of has a person as
the subject.

--
De'vID