[tlhIngan Hol] Appositions with type 5 suffixes / I'm cold, I'm hot

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:07:51 PDT 2022

This is an opinion, not The Official Answer.

1. Stylistically, I’d say {wo’rIv ghaH jupwI’’e’. ghaHvaD…} following Okrand’s ancient advice that we often say things in English that are commonly expressed in multiple sentences in Klingon. There may be other ways of doing this, but this one is definitely acceptable. No Klingon would have a problem understanding you, or challenge you on your grammar.

You also mentioned “In the city of Berlin”, which could just as easily be stated as “In Berlin city”, or you could interpret the “of” as indicative of a genitive noun-noun construction, rather than an apposition. {*Berlin* vengDaq}. That literally means “In the city of Berlin”. In English, the actual apposition would be “In the city, Berlin…” There would be no “of”. I don’t think “In the city of Berlin” you have apposition. It feels like apposition, but it isn’t really.

2. Great question. So far as I know {jIbIr} means “I’m cold,” synonymous to “I feel cold”, and if you want to say “My body is cold”, you’d say {bIr porghwIj.}

If you wanted to express Buddhist detachment from physical reality, you might say {bIr muD ‘e’ vIjem, ‘ach jIbIrbe’.}

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)