[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngonDer

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 27 09:48:36 PDT 2022

How could I not remember the most obvious related words:

qaw 		memory (i.e. the ability) (n)
qaw 		remember (v)

And while I'm at it...

(Lieven < MO, 2/05/2018):  ... {qaw}, he said, is a perfectly fine noun meaning memory in the sense of the ability to remember or the power of recall.  It does not refer to specific memories or recollections.  That's a different word: {wov'on}.  It's more common to hear {wov'on qaw} "he/she remembers a memory" than {wov'on ghaj} "he/she has a memory", though the colloquial (English) translation of the former would be "he/she has a memory".  Someone who remembers a lot of stuff or who can easily remember things (like dates or lines of a play) may be said to have a {qaw pov} "excellent memory".

[qepHom 2021 re] Q & A in re {pol} "keep, save, store":
MO: Make use of the verb {ngeq} "store, hoard, cache". When referring
         to memorizing something or knowing something by heart, the usual
         expression is along the lines of {ghuQ ngeqpu' qawwIj} "I've
         memorized the poem (literally "my memory has stored the poem").
             [….]
Q:     Can this verb be used in the computer meaning sense? To "save" /
         store" a file on a disk?
MO: Yes. Both words can.

--
Voragh