[tlhIngan Hol] non-ovs elements before the second {-bogh} of a {-bogh}'ed noun

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue May 10 19:34:04 PDT 2022

While what you’ve written is grammatically correct, it is ambiguous without context. It could be a Romulan probe which seeks and sometimes kills. It could be a probe that seeks and sometimes kills Romulans. In the canon example, we know that it’s a probe associated with Romulans. It’s not a probe that kills Romulans. The story that included the quote gave us that context.

If we had not had any context, the original could have meant a probe that hunts and kills Romulans. The original was ambiguous in terms of the grammar, but context made it clear.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)