[tlhIngan Hol] non-ovs elements before the second {-bogh} of a {-bogh}'ed noun

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Wed May 11 01:15:41 PDT 2022

Dana'an:

> romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej rut Hoghbogh nejwI'
> probe which locates and occasionally kills romulans
>
> Would it be correct? Could we place a non-ovs element before the second {-bogh} of a {-bogh}'ed noun?

​

You can use the rule of thumb I mentioned in a previous message: remove {-bogh} and check if the sentence makes sense.

romuluSngan Sam 'ej rut Hegh nejwI'

There is nothing wrong with this sentence grammatically, so probably the relative phrase is also correct.

Within reasonable complexity, you can take any grammatical sentence (with either subject or object present so that it has a head noun) and add {-bogh} to make it a relative clause. I think the only limit is how understandable it is. In you case, I had no problem understanding the relative clause, but very complex and long sentences might be less clear even if technically grammatical.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio