[tlhIngan Hol] {-vaD} {-moH} combination front slot missing middle slot missing and the {'e'} of a sao

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu May 19 08:41:22 PDT 2022

On 5/19/2022 11:04 AM, Iikka Hauhio wrote:

> Dana'an:
>
>     Could this new sentence mean too "the teachers cause someone
>     unspecified to understand the book"?
>
>> This is possible.
>
> It brought to my mind an interesting case of this: *tuQmoH* is used to
> mean "put on (clothes)".
>
> *DaSmey vItuQ. */I wear boots./
> /
> /
> *jIHvaD DaSmey vItuQmoH. */I make myself wear boots./
> /
> /
> *DaSmey vItuQmoH. */I put on boots./
> /
> /
> I find myself quite hard to parse the third sentence. Without knowing
> that this is how the word is used, I'd have said *DaSmey vItuQchoH*.
> For some reason I feel that the person who is made to wear boots
> should be someone different than the subject of the sentence, but this
> sentence proves that it isn't the case.

I think the problem with *tuQmoH* is a poorly worded gloss, not any
conceptual problem.

*tuQ* means /wear./ It doesn't mean /wear/ as in "change state from
undressed to dressed"; it means "be in a dressed state."

*tuQmoH* means "cause (someone) to be in a dressed state." Again, it
doesn't mean "cause (someone) to change from an undressed state to a
dressed state"; it means "be the cause of someone being in a dressed
state." The gloss of "put on (clothes)" is unfortunate in that it makes
"put on" seem like an indivisible phrase, and as an indivisible phrase
in English "put on" refers only to dressing oneself, not dressing
someone else. To dress someone else is to "put (something) on
(someone)." It's still "put on," but it needs to be modified to account
for the other person.

*tuQHa'moH* means "cause (someone) to be in an undressed state," again,
not meaning "cause (someone) to change from a dressed state to an
undressed state." The gloss of "undress" is a little better, since there
is no phrase-splitting needed to translate it.

So the following sentences all work:

*HIp vItuQ*/I wear the uniform.
/*HIp vItuQmoH*/I put the uniform on (someone); I dress (someone) in the
uniform.
/*yaSvaD HIp vItuQmoH*/I put the uniform on the officer; I dress the
officer in the uniform.
/*jIHvaD HIp vItuQmoH*/I put the uniform on myself; I dress myself in
the uniform./
*HIp vItuQHa/'/*/I un-wear the uniform; I am in a state of not wearing a
uniform once worn.
/*HIp vItuQHa'moH*/I cause (someone) to un-wear the uniform; I undress
someone out of the uniform.
/*yaSvaD vItuQHa'moH*/I cause the officer to un-wear the uniform; I
undress the officer out of the uniform.
/*jIHvaD vItuQHa'moH*/I cause myself to un-wear the uniform; I undress
out of the uniform./

Also interesting is changes of state. I won't show all variations here:

*HIp vItuQchoH*/I start to wear the uniform. /This doesn't necessarily
mean I put the uniform on myself. Someone else might have dressed me. It
simply means I go from a state of not wearing the uniform to a state of
wearing the uniform.
*yaSvaD HIp vItuQchoHmoH*//This means I make the officer go from a state
of not wearing the uniform to wearing the uniform.
*jIHvaD vItuQHa'choHmoH*//This means I take myself from a state of
wearing the uniform to a state of not wearing the uniform.