[tlhIngan Hol] {je} "too" applying to the adverb

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Mar 30 07:15:39 PDT 2022

Just to make SuStel’s excellent analysis even more obvious, consider the same sentence in different contexts:

chalqachDaq jIQaDbe’.
chalqachDaq bIQaDbe’ je.

chalqachDaq bItujbe’.
chalqachDaq bIQaDbe’ je.

juHlIjDaq bIQaDbej.
qulDaq bIQaDbe’.
chalqachDaq bIQaDbe’ je.

Your example assumed a specific context that you had not stated. It COULD mean what you intend, but without sufficient context, it doesn’t specifically mean what you want it to mean, because, as SuStel explained, adverbs in Klingon apply to the entire sentence/clause without the ability to specify which part of the sentence you intend to apply it to.

You can accomplish communicating the meaning you seek to convey, but you need to provide enough context. One sentence in English probably needs multiple sentences in Klingon to convey this specific meaning in Klingon, unless sufficient context has already been shared.