[tlhIngan Hol] {So'} and {-'egh} is there a difference between {jISo'} and {jISo''egh}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 18 07:04:21 PDT 2022

We even have an example:

  ghach jIvvo' naH.  DaH pIghvamDaq So''eghtaH.
  There is a criminal hiding in these ruins.  (STID)
Normally {So’} “hide, conceal, cloak “ takes an object:

(KGT 54f):  It is also appropriate to say {Duj So'} (“He/she cloaks the ship”) or {Duj So'lu'pu'} (“The ship is cloaked”; literally, “Someone or something has cloaked the ship”).
but see this odd (colloquial??) example:

  nuqDaq So'taH yaS
  Where is the officer hiding? (TKD)

which could also be translated “Where is the officer hiding him/her/it/them?” with the unmarked third-person “zero prefix”.

Voragh