[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "approximately" with {chaq} and {tlhoS} the lesson from {vabDot} where {chaq} and {tlhoS} refer

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Mar 16 07:21:23 PDT 2022

I really like this explanation.

I’ll only append that rather than at the sentence level, I think adverbials apply to the clause level. It’s tempting to say that they apply primarily to the verb because grammatically, the presence of a verb defines a clause, but you are spot on that the effect of the adverbial is on the entire clause, not just the verb.

If you want the effect of an adverbial applying to a specific word, you need to do the extra work to explicitly provide the context, be more verbose, and not expect this grammatical element to just work the way you wished it would work.

Also, life is simpler if the adverbial applies to the main clause. If you want it to apply to a dependent clause, you either need sufficient context to draw the listener to that conclusion, or you should make the dependent clause follow the main clause so the placement of the adverbial makes it obvious which clause gets the adverbial. Note that you can’t do that with a {-meH} clause because they always precede the clause they apply to (except when they apply to a noun).