[tlhIngan Hol] pronoun with {-taH} pronouns with {-taH} vs {tu'lu'}

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 05:58:57 PDT 2022

To my ear, {tu’lu’} is making a statement, “There are many ships.” You are adding to that statement that the ships are on Kronos.

{bIHtaH} is focused on where the ships are.

Both say the same thing. It’s just that the {bIHtaH} sentence structure is introduced to us in TKD as a way of saying where things are, while {tu’lu’} is introduced to us as a way of saying that something exists. Since the many ships exist, and they have a location, this particular sentence is conveying meaning that is an overlap between these two kinds of expressions.

While you are at it, consider:

Qo’noSDaq law’ Duj.

This is yet another sentence saying the same thing, but again, there’s a difference in flavor. All three versions give you the same information. On Kronos, ships are many. On Kronos there are many ships/one discovers many ships. Many ships are on Kronos.

nuqDaq bIH Duj law’?
Qo’noSDaq bIHtaH Duj law’.

Duj vISuqnIS.
Qo’noSDaq Duj law’ tu’lu’.