[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Qum

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 28 07:26:42 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	Qum
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	communicate
Source: 	TKD

jIQum
I communicate. (KLS)

naDev bIQumqa' 'e' vItul.
[untranslated] (MO to SuStel, st.klingon 11/1996)

(qurgh, 11/10/2015):  I had a conversation with Marc about {'oH} and {ghaH} and animals when I was at the qepHom. He said that if you (the speaker) believe you can communicate with a creature, then it's a {ghaH}, if you don't believe you can communicate with a creature, then it's {'oH}. It's down the personal beliefs of the speaker, not a set formula.

SEE:
Qum  		communications,  communication related technology (n) KBoP
Qum De'wI'  	communications computer (n) KBoP
Qum pat  	communications system (n)
  - "I remember in an interview with Boise State Public Radio, Marc used {Qum pat}
      (or maybe it was {Qumpat}) to refer to 'radio'. He sounded uncertain, but it makes
      sense to me." (Felix Malmenbeck, 6/18/2012)
Qum patmey  	communications systems (n) KBoP
Qum SeHlaw  	communications console (n) KBoP
QumpIn  	communications officer (n
QumwI'  	communicator,  communications device (n)

SEE ALSO:
lab  		transmit data (away from a place) (v)
lI'  		transmit data (to a place) (v)
van 		salute (v)

rIS 		signal, emit a signal (v)
rIt 		summon (v)
rI' 		hail (v)

"The past is a foreign country; they do things different there. They speak another language. They would communicate as we do, but can only talk in dreams.” ({bI'reS} of L. P. Hartley's novel The "Go-Between")

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last