[tlhIngan Hol] noun-noun constructions and interpreting a missing {-'e'} in N2 of N1 meaning

D qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 04:53:10 PDT 2022

If I want to say noun 2 of noun 1, I say N1 N2.

Now suppose that N1 is the object of a {-bogh} phrase (which has a subject
too), and suppose that I want to say N2 of N1.

Normally, I'd write {N1'e' Vbogh subject N2}, but the problem is that we
can't have the {-'e'} on the first noun of a noun-noun construction.

So, now, the question is this:

If I write {N1 Vbogh subject N2}, and the context is clear, can this phrase
be used to mean "N2 of N1"? Or the fact that we can't place an {-'e'} on
the N1, excludes any such interpretation?

And I'll write an example:

yoD chenmoHpu'bogh tlhIngan rItlh lIngqa'meH nov, nIDpu'.

"the alien has tried to reproduce the paint of the shield which was created
by the klingon"

If the context is clear, would this be a valid way to express the english
sentence? Or is it that the only way for the klingon sentence to match the
english one, is for it (the klingon one) to have the {-'e'} on the {yoD}
something which is not allowed?

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/