[tlhIngan Hol] info from paq'batlh that's not really new

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 09:36:57 PDT 2022

On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 at 14:36, D qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> De'vID:
> > It's not elided. Both of the conjoined nouns are written.
> > {tlhIH(1), SuvwI'pu' Hem,} "You, proud warriors,"
> > {boghIjlu''a'?} "Are you afraid?"
> > {tlhIH(2) je, qanra' puqloD,} "And you, sons of Kahnrah,"
>
> Ok, I can understand this.
>
> But again, the nouns being conjoined aren't in the same sentence. They're
> at different sentences.

They *are* in the same sentence. Ignoring the appositives, that sentence is
{tlhIH tlhIH je}, a vocative (an exclamation).

A: {qatlh Sutamchu'?} "Why are you all silent?"
B1: {tlhIH(1), SuvwI'pu' Hem,} "You, proud warriors,"
C: {boghIjlu''a'?} "Are you afraid?"
B2: {tlhIH(2) je, qanra' puqloD,} "And you, sons of Kahnrah,"
D: {pejatlh!} "Speak up!"

There are four sentences here: A, B, C, and D. Sentence B gets interrupted
by sentence C, and then resumes.

There is no new grammar here. I repeat: there is no new grammar here.

The fact that sometimes, when a person is speaking, they'll interrupt
something they're saying mid-sentence, say something else, and then resume
the original sentence, is not something that can or needs to be formulated
into a rule of grammar. It's just a feature of any language. You can do
this in English, or in Greek, but you won't find a rule in a grammar
textbook book for English or Greek telling you how to do this.

So, (if I understand this correctly) I can say to a singer: {SoH bItlhIb,
> bIbomtaHvIS, qoghDu'wIj vIpoSnISmoH}, and then say to another singer {SoH
> je, bIbomtaHvIS, vIghro'mey HoH ghoghlIj}.
>
> The thing I'm wondering though is whether for this to work, on the first
> sentence we would necessarily need to write the {SoH}, or whether we would
> only need the second one.

If you're wondering this, then you haven't understood what's going on.

The entire point is that there is no new grammar here. {je} still conjoins
two (or more) nouns by coming at the end.

--
De'vID