[tlhIngan Hol] some info on {jatlh} and {jang}

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 09:48:19 PDT 2022

I agree with SuStel. I’ll go farther and share that I think that {jatlh} originally was supposed to take languages or speeches as object and {ja’} was originally supposed to have people as object (hence {ja’chuq} is a word in the word list and {jatlhchuq} is not), but in canon, Okrand forgot this and created examples that didn’t follow his own original thought, so things loosened up. There’s a higher priority of making canon correct than there is for making the language consistent or have clear rules. Given how inconsistent natural languages are, I think that Okrand sees this as a good thing because he doesn’t want Klingon to be artificially consistent.

In natural languages, people screw up and others adopt the mistake, and it stops being a mistake. It just becomes the way the language is now, so deal with it.

I liked the language when it was more consistent, but I’m not interested in maintaining my own dialect, so I just try to keep up and I accept that I screw up from time to time.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)