[tlhIngan Hol] {neH} as in "the only"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 5 13:57:06 PDT 2022

ghunchu’wI’ had a relevant conversation with Okrand:

(ghunchu'wI', 7/16/2012):  I once ordered {bIQ neH} to drink at a restaurant. Marc Okrand, sitting across the table from me, suggested that I really meant {bIQ mob}.  That would have been proper if I were not having anything else.  As I did intend to order food as well, however, my usage was correct.  I wanted 'mere water' as opposed to “water alone”.

FYI {mob} “be alone” in canon:

Heghlu'DI' mobbe'lu'chugh QaQqu' Hegh wanI'
Death is an experience best shared.  (TKW)

mob qeylIS ngeng HeHDaq yIt
And Kahless was alone walking along the shore (PB)

(Lieven, qepHom 2017, 11/2017):  An odd number is {mI' mob}.  An even number is {mI' mobHa'}.

And don’t forget the adverbial {nIteb} “alone, acting alone, on one's own”:

jagh DajeymeH nIteb yISuvrup
To defeat the enemy, be ready to fight alone. PK

nIteb SuvnIS DevwI'
A leader must stand alone ("A leader must fight alone").TKW

nIteb DujlIj yIchIj
Navigate your vessel alone. TKW

nIteb Qob qaD jup 'e' chaw'be' SuvwI'
A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone. TKW

nIteb peghoS, HatlhDaq peleng
to go their separate ways, and travel the lands. PB

nIteb chegh molor ngIq ghoqwI'
One by one Molor's scouts return PB

jachDI' qa'rol yIwuq | nIteb bIwuqnIS | ngeD Qu'vam
Decide when the {qa'rol} cries, The choice is yours, And it is obvious. PB

nIteb 'atlantIq bIQ'a' chIqbogh 'orwI' wa'DIch mojta'
he became the first pilot to cross the Atlantic Ocean solo (NASM, Spirit of St. Louis)

--
Voragh