[tlhIngan Hol] using {ngan} as a suffix {ngan} as the suffix {-ngan}

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Thu Jan 27 02:54:21 PST 2022

De'vID:

> I've addressed usage and meaning, and grammatically I've pointed out that the first noun in a noun-noun construction can take a suffix, but the first component of a compound noun cannot. I think {rop yaH} means something very different from {ropyaH}. If I told someone to go to {roplIj yaH}, I might be telling them to go to a leper colony and not an infirmary.

That same applies to 'Iw HIq. If I say 'IwwIj HIq, I would think it refers to my blood alcohol level, not to bloodwine. So it doesn't explain how ropyaH and 'Iw HIq are different.

> But you raised the point of pronunciation, and I think there's a difference there, too. Okrand wrote that the pronunciation of {wab Do} "speed of sound" and {wabDo} "Mach number" are the same. But I think that the *stress* is different. In {wab Do}, both words have equal stress. In {wabDo}, the {Do} is stressed and the {wab} is not. In {tera'ngan}, the {ra'} is stressed but not the {ngan}. In {tera' ngan}, both the {ra'} and {ngan} are stressed. So the presence or absence of a space serves a purpose, which is to reflect the stress in speaking.

This is finally a concrete difference between "compound nouns" and "noun-noun constructions"! If there really is a difference in pronunciation, then it is certainly justified to write the words differently. It seems that Okrand doesn't think the difference is too important given how he has talked about this to you and Lieven, but there should be a difference if we follow TKD's pronunciation guide.

Pronunciation is currently the only difference I can think of, but it is enough to justify the current punctuation. While I disagree much with the Okrandian notation, at least this aspect is not completely arbitrary.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio