[tlhIngan Hol] adverbs acting on each other adverbs referring to each other

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 03:19:20 PST 2022

lieven:
> The analysis is on the page Word order in the Wiki:
> http://klingon.wiki/En/WordOrder

For the altruistic purpose of helping others follow this thread with ease,
but more for the selfish reason of helping myself when I pdf this thread
and add it to my notes, I'll perform a glorious copy-paste of the relevant
part of that honorable page..

**********wiki quote in rich text starts**********
relative ordering of Adverbials There are no written rules about the
ordering of adverbials, but there seems to be a scheme based on canon
examples.

   - Each adverbial apparently applies to all that follows.
   - Degree of certainty seems to precede the scope of the expected delay
   before the action, and that precedes the quality of the action.
   - Since *vaj* tends to connect what follows it to a clause or sentence
   that preceded it, that should come before all else.

It seems almost as if there were types of adverbs similar to the way
Klingon has types of verb suffixes
<http://klingon.wiki/bin/view/En/VerbSuffixes>, based on the following
canon examples: *chaq batlh bIvangqa'laH*
*You might have a chance to make amends.*
(paq'batlh <http://klingon.wiki/bin/view/En/Paqbatlh> p. 100-101) *chaq
tugh batlh Heghmo' 'ej chaq tugh charghmo'*
*For they may soon die with honor! For they may soon be victorious!*
(paq'batlh <http://klingon.wiki/bin/view/En/Paqbatlh> p. 120-121) *reH
batlh SuvtaHjaj chaH*
*Let endless battle and honor await them!*
(paq'batlh <http://klingon.wiki/bin/view/En/Paqbatlh> p. 150-151) *vaj
pe'vIl joqqu' cha' tlhIngan tIqDu'*
*Both Klingon hearts beat, at their strongest, in lust for blood.*
(paq'batlh <http://klingon.wiki/bin/view/En/Paqbatlh> p. 166-167) Possible
interpretation:
Type 1 *vaj*
Type 2 *chaq*
Type 3 *tugh*
Type 4 *batlh* You probably can't have two of the same type, and you can
have zero or one of each type in any verb clause.

**********wiki quote in rich text ends**********

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/