[tlhIngan Hol] "Seasons of Love" in Klingon / And two grammatical questions

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Tue Jan 11 03:20:41 PST 2022

Thank you, Iikka Hauhio, charghwI' and SuStel for your detailed posts!

SuStel:

>> I think we disagree less than you think. Yes, punctuate liberally in order to make yourself as clear as possible TO YOUR AUDIENCE. In this case, the audience is a group of humans who are learning Klingon as a non-primary language. Those humans may better understand what you write because of your use of punctuation that fits the conventions of the not-Klingon language common to members of your audience.

>> What I object to is the suggestion that we have the slightest clue how punctuation is used by Klingons when they write using their native language.

> No one is talking about that. Luis is asking how he should write things to us, the Klingon-speaking people of the real world.
We have no canonical information on punctuation in pIqaD, or really anything else about it. Worf saying teehongee jee! is more informative to us than any Klingon writing we've seen prior to Star Trek: Discovery.

I wouldn't dare to write anything to a Klingon, so yes, I just wanted to know if punctuation could help us humans to better communicate in Klingon :-) Thanks to all of you, however, for the very interesting insight into this topic and its background.

> No, I don't think that's what Luis has been asking. He's concerned with groupings of noun phrases and what ways they can be interpreted. Punctuation was offered as a tool for disambiguating and clarifying, but it doesn't reach the core of what Luis has been asking.

Since this thread got a bit long, I would like to summarize, to see if I've understood it properly:

1.*be' Huch paq je* and *be' Huchmo' paqmo' je* are both grammatically correct and ambiguous (by the way, any canonical examples of these structures?).

2. A noun can modify in a noun-noun construction two or more conjoined nouns (even if these conjoined nouns have type-5 suffixes). Therefore, *one* of the possible interpretations of the phrases above is: *the woman's money and book* / *because of the woman's money and book*.

3. To avoid ambiguity we could use (human) punctuation: *be' Huch, paq je* for *the woman's money and the book* or *be', Huch, paq je* for *the woman, the money and the book*, and so on.

4. Or we could recast: *be' Huch, be' paq je* for *the woman's money and book* or *Huch ghaj be', Huchvam paq je* for *the woman's money and the book*, and so on.