[tlhIngan Hol] "Seasons of Love" in Klingon / And two grammatical questions

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jan 10 07:54:26 PST 2022

On 1/10/2022 10:41 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> I think we disagree less than you think. Yes, punctuate liberally in
> order to make yourself as clear as possible TO YOUR AUDIENCE. In this
> case, the audience is a group of humans who are learning Klingon as a
> non-primary language. Those humans may better understand what you
> write because of your use of punctuation that fits the conventions of
> the not-Klingon language common to members of your audience.
>
> What I object to is the suggestion that we have the slightest clue how
> punctuation is used by Klingons when they write using their native
> language.

No one is talking about that. Luis is asking how /he/ should write
things to /us,/ the Klingon-speaking people of the real world.

We have no canonical information on punctuation in *pIqaD,* or really
anything else about it. Worf saying /teehongee jee!/ is more informative
to us than any Klingon writing we've seen prior to /Star Trek: Discovery./

> This message's thread was driven by a person who seemed to be seeking
> the authoritative, generalizable rules for using punctuation in a
> specific instance as a kind of formula for using punctuation properly.
> I think that person needs to realize that there are no known rules for
> the use of punctuation in Klingon. I really think he intended to take
> what advice we give as an anchor point for future use of “correct”
> punctuation, and as a student, he needs to know that there is no
> “correct” use of punctuation in Klingon.

No, I don't think that's what Luis has been asking. He's concerned with
groupings of noun phrases and what ways they can be interpreted.
Punctuation was offered as a tool for disambiguating and clarifying, but
it doesn't reach the core of what Luis has been asking.