[tlhIngan Hol] vabDot referring to the {-'e'}d noun

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 25 05:57:14 PST 2022

On 2/25/2022 8:18 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> Let's remember the Ca'Non example:
>
> HaqwI''e' DaH yISam
> Find the SURGEON now!  (TKD)
>
> And now let's forget it.
>
> I want to say "locate even the humans". So I write:
>
> Human'e' vabDot tISam
>
> Can this mean too "locate even the humans"? Or is the only possible
> interpretation "even locate the humans"?

Adverbials typically apply their meaning to entire clauses, not just a
noun or a verb in a clause. *vabDot* means that the clause it's attached
to is additional information that is surprising or counterintuitive.
*vabDot Human tISam* means: locate the humans; this order may be
surprising or counterintuitive. *Human'e' vabDot tISam* means: locate
the humans, as opposed to someone else; this order may be surprising or
counterintuitive.

So if you can describe in full detail what the difference between
/locate even the humans/ and /even locate the humans/ is, then you can
determine whether the Klingon means either or both of those.