[tlhIngan Hol] Beginner's text and questions

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Thu Feb 17 01:54:22 PST 2022

charghwI':

> As a stylistic thing, I’d probably choose {X tu’lu’be’} to mean that there are no Xs, since {tu’lu’} is pretty much fossilized as “There is an X or there are Xs”, while {tu’be’lu’} breaks the fossilized form, suggesting the more literal translation that one doesn’t observe or discover it, so I’d translate “The Undiscovered Country” as  {Sep tu’be’lu’bogh}. There is a country, so {Sep tu’lu’be’bogh} kinda suggests that there isn’t a country, so it doesn’t work as well for a translation, In My Humble Opinion.

Thank you for your interesting contributions. That's a very good question. But then, do you think the combination I used in my text (*tu'choHlu'pu'*), since it *breaks* the *tu'lu'*, would be rather understood with the more literal meaning of *observe, find, discover*? I was trying to render the idea of *there have begun to be* (*they have come into existence*).