[tlhIngan Hol] {-Daq} and {-bogh} and {Sumbogh} and {Hopbogh}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Feb 1 08:06:05 PST 2022

Yep. While you can look at the English sentence and then understand what the Klingon is supposed to mean, when you run it through actual Klingon grammar, it becomes mush.

Since the Head Noun of a Relative Clause has to be its subject or object, it can’t be the Locative, so one must assume that America is the Head Noun.

It comes out like “In Canada, there are bears of America, which is nearby.” The Head Noun has a role in both the Main Clause and the Relative Clause, so on one hand, America is nearby, and on the other hand, it has a Genitive relationship with the bears in a Noun Noun construction, and all this happens in Canada.

We have to stay this strict about the limits of a Relative Clause, because otherwise we open the gates to word salad, where you can pile together sentences that act like hash codes: You can go through a translation process from the English to the Klingon, but you can’t read the Klingon and figure out what it’s supposed to mean. It can’t support its own weight and collapses in splinters.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)