[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yIH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 22 08:13:53 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, August 22, 2022

Klingon word: yIH
Part of speech: noun
Definition: tribble

Hut yIHmey
nine tribbles. CK

wa'maH yIHmey lI'be'
ten useless tribbles. CK

yIHmey DaHIj'a'
Are you transporting tribbles? CK

ghobe', yIHmey vIHIjbe'
No, I'm not transporting tribbles. CK

QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj
May your coordinates be free of tribbles! PK

rut yIHmey ghom Hoch
Everyone encounters tribbles occasionally. TKW

 ["As is well known, Klingons find tribbles intolerable--and, apparently, vice versa. The expression, therefore, means that, from time to time, everyone has to deal with intolerable situations." (TKW 184)]

'up; yIH rur
disgusting as a tribble KGT

["There is one more exceedingly common expression that falls into this animal category, not so much because of the inherent characteristics of the creature, but rather because of Klingons' normal reaction to it" (KGT 132)]

tlhoy yIHmey vIlegh
I see too many tribbles
["means 'I overly see tribbles' (perhaps this could be used if one meant something like 'I see tribbles far too frequently and in far too many places')"] (IMO, HQ 8.3)

yIHmey 'Iq vIlegh
I see too many tribbles. (IMO, HQ 8.3)

(MSN st.k):  Thus, the question yIH nuq? "What is a tribble?" is exactly parallel the statement yIH 'oH "It is a tribble" ... The answer to the question yIH nuq? (What is a tribble?) would presumably be a definition or description of a tribble.

TREK TRIVIA:
  "They are outlawed on most worlds [due to their prodigious breeding]. Their population is kept in check by the abundance of reptiles on their homeworld." (Phlox, before casually feeding one to a lab animal; ENT "The Breach")

  A large quantity of quadrotriticale stored on Deep Space Station K-7 was poisoned by Arne Darvin, a surgically-altered undercover Klingon agent. Tribbles love this grain and Darvin's plot was uncovered when the hundreds of tribbles who had managed to get into the storage locker died. (TOS "The Trouble with Tribbles" & DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations")

  A glommer ({ghIlo'meH}) is a Klingon genetic construct: a red spiderish tribble predator. It engulfs the smaller tribbles with it's body and discharges a deposit of converted tribble. [MTMT p.183] In 2269 Koloth pursued a Federation scout ship piloted by Cyrano Jones, a Federation citizen who was responsible for causing ecological sabotage to a Klingon planet and stealing a Klingon glommer. Koloth encountered and attacked the Enterprise in order to retrieve Jones and the glommer. (TAS "More Tribbles, More Troubles") See http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki//en/wiki/Glommer .

  Young Alexandra had a white stuffed toy tribble which she carried with her everywhere on the Enterprise-D. (TNG "When the Bough Breaks")

 PUN "Yecch!"

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last