[tlhIngan Hol] qep'a' 2022 new words puns

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 22:55:54 PDT 2022

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 3:20 AM nIqolay Q <niqolay0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 5:17 PM De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> However, I can't think of what {rubyo'} can be a reference to, except for
>> a very specific politician. Can anyone else have any ideas?
>>

> The original request <https://www.kli.org/chabal-archive/politician/> for
> the word "politician" wasn't entirely value-neutral: "A person who is
> professionally involved in the politics. Also a derogatory term for a
> person who manipulates or pleases others just to gain own advantage. For
> example Gowron is described as a politician in DS9"
> So it's possible Okrand was thinking more along the lines of the latter
> half of the request when thinking about specific politicians.

Even then, what's the connection between Okrand and the U.S. Senator for
Florida? If it were a reference to a real-life politician, I'd have
expected something closer to home or with a personal connection to him.

Like with "Tikriti", I feel like it's a genuine coincidence: the story
fits, but it just happens to fit by accident. I think the "Texas Tea"
explanation is obviously right for {yItQet}, because his "coincidences'',
when they are references and not wordplay, are most often about TV or film
pop culture, and occasionally to people he knows in real life.

--
De'vID