[tlhIngan Hol] combining {-meH} and {-bogh} on {-meH}'ed and {-bogh}'ed nouns

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Apr 28 07:12:07 PDT 2022

[Read this for amusement purposes only.]

Another way to think of it is that the word order of {-meH} and {-bogh} are figured out by completely different systems. A verb with {-meH} always precedes the noun or verb it modifies, and the verb with {-meH} paired with its noun grammatically become a noun phrase in a larger grammatical structure.

A verb with {-bogh} uses the Head Noun as a subject or object, so the Head Noun could come before or after its verb with {-bogh}, and the entire clause belonging to the verb with {-bogh} including the Head Noun behaves like a noun phrase in a larger grammatical structure.

So, consider the canon example you offered:

romuluSngan Sambogh ‘ej HoHbogh nejwI’

That’s a noun phrase that would be used in a sentence. What if we were inspired by {ghojmeH taj} and wanted to talk about a boy's version of the Romulan hunter-killer probe?

We’d very naturally nest things into:

romuluSngan Sambogh ‘ej HoHbogh ghojmeH nejwI’

Now, the {-meH} clause with it’s noun bundled into it is a noun phrase within the noun phrases of the two {-bogh} clauses, within a larger sentence, like:

vInwI’vaD romuluSngan Sambogh ‘ej HoHbogh ghojmeH nejwI’ vIje’ vIneH.

I want to buy a boy’s Romulan hunter-killer probe for my nephew. [Awwwwwww. How cute. This is the version that hunts people down and stings them; great for practical jokes! It’s non-lethal, unless it annoys them to death.]

You wouldn’t want to toss an extra {‘ej} into that because there is no parallel grammatical construction to the {-meH} clause. It would come out something like, “I want to buy a boy’s and Romulan hunter-killer probe.”

You don’t want a hunter-killer probe for a boy and a Romulan. You want the boy version of the probe, which is associated with Romulans, and this boy is not a Romulan, so it would be very, VERY wrong to put that {‘ej} in there, even if it were permitted by the grammar, and it isn’t.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)