[tlhIngan Hol] perfective {-pu'} using/combining aspect with no aspect

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Thu Apr 7 06:14:30 PDT 2022

I agree with SuStel in this case.

If you said

wa'Hu' jIghungpu'mo', pItSa' vIvunpu'

you'd say that there was a complete "being hungry action" and then a complete "ordering action", which isn't what happens. Instead, there is a state of being hungry that leads to the action of ordering pizza, but it doesn't make sense to describe being hungry as a completed action.

I know some will disagree with me, but I do think that there are some cases in which a perfective quality verb does make sense. For example, imagine a situation when someone's taste has changed due to a covid infection:

DIS vorgh jIroppu'mo', jaS jImum. Because I had an illness last year, I taste differently.

Here, I'm looking back at the complete illness and saying that due to that, I taste differently. In my opinion, using -pu' is fine as I'm talking about the illness as a whole, as a single point in the timeline sometime during the last year. I know some will disagree with me. It should be fine as the alternative (DIS vorgh jIropmo', jaS jImum. Because I was ill last year, I taste differently.) doesn't really differ that much and works equally well in this situation.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio