[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mIv'a'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 6 07:39:39 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	mIv'a'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	crown

(KGT 58):  old armor included headgear of some kind apparently called a {mIv}, which, in modern Klingon, means helmet.  The word [{mIv}] also survives in the word {mIv'a'} (crown; literally, "big helmet" or "great helmet"), a ceremonial headpiece worn by some Klingon emperors.

AFAIK never used in canon.

SEE:
mIv  		helmet,  hat (n)

(KGT 27-28):  In some regions, a {bargh} made of metal is a {mIv} (which also means helmet, even though, historically speaking, helmets are not necessarily made of metal), or a {mIv bargh} ("helmet pot")

[Hmm... Would Cervantes approve of the joke?]

Du'IHchoHmoH mIvvam
This helmet suits you. TKD

mIv DaS je tuQ ra'wI'
The commander is wearing a helmet and a boot. KGT

mIv je DaS tuQ ra'wI'
The commander is in full dress uniform. KGT
(idiom: note position of {je}. Cf. KGT pp. 107-8 for details)

mIvwIjDaq poghlIj vIcha'
I display your glove on my helmet. KGT
(idiom: implies that the postponed matter is between the speaker and the addressee. Cf. KGT p. 126 for details)

SEE ALSO:
DoQmIv  	sink (for cleaning hands, face, food, etc.) (n) (qep'a' 2016)
DoQmIvHom  	small tub,  bucket (n)
DoQmIv'a'  	bathtub, swimming pool (n)

AFAIK unrelated to helmets or crowns!

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last