[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIlwI'

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Apr 4 11:45:30 PDT 2022

Am 04.04.2022 um 20:08 schrieb De'vID:
> But they're *not* identical. They're very clearly distinct in Okrand's
> books.

In addition, remember that Okrand wrote his first manuscript using a
typewriter, where the difference between lay and 'It is always very
visible. So he probably did not think much of that problem at first.

> The problem was introduced when *other* people started writing
> Klingon in sans serif, and yet *other* people copied that text visually,
> like a game of telephone.

Other than Okrand, but not other than TKD: look at the "List of useful
expressions" using a sans serif font. Very bad idea.

> There are any number of instances where the pIqaD glyph for {lay}
> appears where one expects {'It}, which could only have happened if
> someone read Klingon written in sans serif and then reproduced it by
> typing it back out.

Just for the record: the first print of TKW had such an error. On page
55, the word {vanglu'taHvIS} had an upper case I (eye) were it should
have been lower case l (ell). — I don't know what happened there.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"