[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIlwI'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 11:08:07 PDT 2022

On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 at 17:35, Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:

> Note that Okrand was somewhat tech-averse when he wrote TKD and was not
> consulted about typeface.

Are you sure about that? I recall that he specified to the publisher that
Klingon text was always to be in bold serif, while the
corresponding English translations should be italicised, in all of his
books.

> It wasn’t his idea to make the “eye” and “ell” identical,

But they're *not* identical. They're very clearly distinct in Okrand's
books. The problem was introduced when *other* people started writing
Klingon in sans serif, and yet *other* people copied that text visually,
like a game of telephone.

There are any number of instances where the pIqaD glyph for {lay} appears
where one expects {'It}, which could only have happened if someone read
Klingon written in sans serif and then reproduced it by typing it back out.

--
De'vID