[tlhIngan Hol] perfective {-pu'} using/combining aspect with no aspect

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 08:39:01 PDT 2022

SuStel:
> Yes, the issue here is that -DI' on verbs
> expressing qualities often makes little
> sense, because "as soon as" implies that
> something happens as soon as the
> expressed change occurs. jIghungDI'
> doesn't express a change of state; it only
> expresses a state, so there's nothing "as
> soon as" about it.

Ok, I understand this.

SuStel:
> jIghungchoHDI' solves this problem.

At first, I thought too of writing {jIghungchoHDI'}, but then I went with
{jIghungDI'} because I wanted to write an example where the {-pu'} would be
meaningless.

But now I wonder..

By using the {-choH} on {ghung} we avoid the obstacle of a meaningless
{-pu'} on a quality verb. Also we want to report an event by looking back
on it. So suppose we write:

wa'Hu' jIghungchoHDI', pItSa' vIvunpu'

In the sentence above, wouldn't it be preferable if instead of
{jIghungchoHDI'} we had {jIghungchoHpu'DI'}, since we report an event by
looking back on it?

And returning to the question troubling me earlier, I still have this
problem which drives me crazy:

Regardless whether we write {wa'Hu' jIghungchoHDI', pItSa' vIvunpu'} or
{wa'Hu' jIghungchoHpu'DI', pItSa' vIvunpu'}, can't this be understood as "I
have (already) ordered the pizza, before I become/have become hungry"?

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/