[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "lyre"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 24 07:34:31 PDT 2021

Thanks, SuStel.  You presume correctly:  in the qepHom 2019 new word list there’s a note under {ngItHel} that “It is plucked, strummed, or bowed.”  Oh, apparently {yan} is also a slang term for {ngItHel naQ}.

From: SuStel
On 9/24/2021 9:53 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:
(KGT 76):  Finally, a fourth type of instrument is one with strings, a {HurDagh}. Each string is a {SIrgh}, a word also used for any thread or filament... To produce music, one may either pluck ({pang}) or strum ({yach}, which also means “stroke” or “pet”) the strings. The tone produced is varied by touching the string or strings at various points while plucking or strumming. The verb used for this, perhaps translatable as “to finger”, is the same as the one used for wind instruments: {Heng}. The word {HurDagh} refers to any of these stringed instruments, of which there are several different types, the most commonly found being the relatively small {Supghew}. The midsize {leSpal} is fairly widely used, while the large {tIngDagh} is rarely heard except in conjunction with the performance of an opera.
Note that Okrand does not mention the presence (or absence) of necks, sounding/resonating bowls, tuning pegs, frets, etc.  So until we have more information feel free to pick one.  (Are there any hints in the mass of new words released over the past 2 or 3 years?)

Not instruments of the plucking kind, but qepHom 2019 gave us ngItHel, a stringed instrument that is played with a ngItHel naQ, a bow. I guess that it is a class of instrument rather than a specific one, so a violin and a double bass are both ngItHel. Presumably, one can also pang the SIrgh of a ngItHel. Otherwise, I see nothing that obviously touches on this.



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20210924/9ef9c439/attachment-0003.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list