[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: leD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 21 07:20:48 PDT 2021

Klingon word: 	leD
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	be perpendicular, be at a right angle
Source: 	[qepHom 2014]

leD rav tlhoy’ je
the floor and the wall are perpendicular (to each other)
 (qepHom 2014 via De'vID)

(De'vId, 11/16/2014):  While {Don} means "be parallel", {DonHa’} does not mean "be perpendicular".  It means something like "be misaligned".  The word for be perpendicular is {leD} and it’s normally used with a plural subject:  {leD rav tlhoy’ je} "the floor and the wall are perpendicular (to each other)".  The word {leD} is also used to indicate a right angle: {tajvaj leD}.

(De'vID, 11/19/2014):  I actually specifically asked [Okrand] about how to use {Don}, and whether {DonHa'} means "perpendicular".  The reason I asked about Don is that it's defined as both "be parallel" and "go parallel to", suggesting it can either take a plural subject (?{Don rav, rav'eq je}) or an object (?{'entepray' Don Qo'noS wa'}).  He answered with {leD}, which he explained is normally used with plural subjects (implying it doesn't take an object).  Does that make {Don} and {leD} a pair of words which one might expect to be parallel, but actually aren't quite – that is, as if they were misaligned ({DonHa'})?  :-)  I think that's part of the joke.

SEE ALSO:
SaS 		be horizontal (v)
chong  		be vertical (v)
nech 		be lateral, move laterally (v)
tom 		be tilted (v)
lol 		be in an attitude (v)
taH 		be at a negative angle (v)
yoy 		be upside down (v)
qaw’ 		tip/flip over (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen