[tlhIngan Hol] Noun-noun constructions with relative clauses

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sun Oct 31 14:06:31 PDT 2021

The limits of the weight that a Relative Clause can carry has been deeply explored, and the answer always comes back that if the Relative Clause isn’t easily understood, use two sentences, instead. {DaH be’ leghtaH loD. be’vam paq blahblahblah} or {DaH be’ leghtaH HoD. loDvam paq blahblahblah}.

In your wildest dreams, Okrand might explain that in examples like you are imagining, the {-‘e’} belongs to the Relative Clause and not the Noun-Noun construction, so that if you zoom out to the Noun Noun construction, compressing the Relative Clause into its Head Noun, the {-‘e’} is thereby consumed and no longer counts in the Noun-Noun construction, so it doesn’t break the rule.

Until that happens, rules is rules, and you can use your construction and maybe be speaking gibberish. Or Klingon. We can’t know.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)