[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: wab qoSta' 'aplo'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 29 07:29:51 PDT 2021

Klingon word: 	wab qoSta' 'aplo'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	cassette
Source: 	TalkNow - Learn Klingon!, revealed 30 September 2011

AFAIK the phrase was never used in a sentence.

SEE:
wab  		sound,  noise (n)
(De'vID < MO, 2/17/2018):  TKD glosses {QIch} as "speech (vocal sounds)". The notation (vocal sounds) is intended to denote that "speech" here means the phenomenon of speech as opposed to an address or oration – that’s {SoQ}. So {QIch} doesn’t refer to individual speech sounds or speech sounds collectively. An individual speech sound ["phoneme"? - Voragh] is {QIch wab} and speech sounds collectively are {QIch wabmey}. Pronunciation could be {QIch wab Ho’DoS}, more literally (but awkwardly) "speech-sound manner, speech-sound technique".

Also:
wab Do  	speed of sound (n, 2 words)
wabDo  	Mach [the speed factor] (n, 1 word)

wab HevwI'  	radio (n)
wab labwI'  	radio service,  broadcaster,  radio transmitter (n)
wab labwI’ jan  	radio transmitter (device) (n)
wab naQ  	vowel (n)
wab poD  	consonant (n)
wab ta  		audio (sound clip) (n)

qoSta'  		ribbon,  tape (n)
(ghunchu'wI', 7/29/2013):  … the word could be referring either to the form (ribbon-like) or function (recording medium) of the object being described. We've had no way to determine which is intended. Until now. I had the opportunity to mention the ambiguity to Marc Okrand last week. He said that what he had in mind was the "ribbon, tape" idea. Flatness is definitely an attribute of {qoSta'}.

Also:
mIllogh qonwI' qoSta' 	film (photographic) (n)

'aplo'  		 [small container] (n) (TNK)
(qe'San on Facebook, 8/11/2013):  {'aplo'} = a general term for a small container

(Lieven, 9/01/2018):  This is not canon, and just my opinion, but I suppose that {'aplo'} refers to some kind of container, box, (something smaller) or so, while a chest {DerlIq} is more a thing made of wood, or it's larger.

Also:
'ul 'aplo'mey 	batteries (TNK)
ngaS 'aplo' 	contents ("the box contains") (Monopoly)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last