[tlhIngan Hol] Use of *-'e'* with adverbials

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 05:05:33 PDT 2021

SuStel:
> chang'e' DaH Sam Find Chang now!
> In this context, I believe the sentence
> can be interpreted like so: Chang! Find him now!
> That is, it's using the object noun as a topic instead of a focus.
SuStel:
> The parallel sentence in TKD gives us what seems to be a focus interpretation
> (HaqwI''e' DaH yISam Find the SURGEON now!), but no context is given, so it's
> a little hard to interpret.

I'm afraid you lost me here; the {chang'e' DaH Sam} and {HaqwI''e' DaH
yISam} seem identical with the only difference being that the first
uses clipped klingon.

So, couldn't there be the opposite interpretation as well, i.e. the
{chang'e' DaH Sam} using the focus function of {-'e'}, and the
{HaqwI''e' DaH yISam} using the topic function {-'e'}?

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/