[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "especially"

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Oct 14 08:28:28 PDT 2021

Okay, first, I have issues with this transliteration of “thalaron”, since Klingon lacks the consonant cluster “th”. More likely, it would be transliterated {tlheylaran} or something close to that. It’s not in the current lexicon, so we can’t be sure of the spelling. A Klingon couldn’t pronounce “thalaron” unless he had studied other languages, any more than an average English speaker could pronounce {Qu’vatlh}.

Second, since you must be speaking from the future Trek Universe where thalaron and Remans exist In THAT Universe, your message might be read by a Reman, for whom the weapon isn’t alien. If the listener isn’t Reman and hears you say it’s a Reman weapon, of course, it’s an alien weapon, right? Why state the obvious? Why be so redundant?

It’s like saying that “prendre” is a foreign word, especially French.

So, I’d suggest:

HIvmeH tlhoS tlhalaron woj lo’ rIymuSnganpu’ neH.

Or perhaps:

nuH lo’meH tlhoS tlheylaran woj wIv rIymuSnganpu’ neH.

Or:

tlhoy Qobmo’ tlheylaran woj, lo'Qo’ HochHom, ‘ach HIghqangchu’mo ‘ej’ batlhHa’qangmo’ le’ rIymuSnganpu’.

Meanwhile, going back to the original, I think this is a weird use of the English word “especially”. “Thalaron is an alien weapon, especially of the Remans,” sounds like it might more naturally be expressed as “Thalaron is a specialty weapon of the Remans."

I think of “especially” more often in sentences like “Klingons are an especially fierce race,” or “Thalaron is especially dangerous.”

For that, I think more along the lines of {tlhInganpu’ qu’ law’ Hoch qu’ puS} or {tlheylaran Qob law’ Hoch Qob puS}. In other words “especially” suggests “uniquely” or “to an extreme degree that is unique’. It’s special because it is extreme.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)