[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngaDmoHwI'

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 14:32:49 PST 2021

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 4:36 PM Alan Anderson <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:46 PM Ed Bailey <bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> This always bugged me, but it makes sense if "be balanced" is the basic
>> idea of ngaD, and the word is also a short way to express "be stable."
>>

> I think of it the other way. My understanding would make "stable" the
> fundamental meaning, with "balanced" to clarify that it's not talking about
> something like a lack of tendency to decay. It's like a "stable structure",
> not a "stable isotope" or "shelf-stable milk".

I appreciate your thoughtful reply. Your interpretation makes more sense
than mine, particularly since the glosses are given in that order.

I'm still interested in using Klingon to discuss physical science, and so
finding precise ways to use Klingon vocabulary, but not at the expense of
flouting colloquial usage.

~mIp'av