[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "unguent"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Nov 5 06:30:09 PDT 2021

On 11/5/2021 9:17 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> In Greek we don't use so many words; there's just one word and that's
> it. As in matter of fact, in order to be sure, I placed in google
> translate each one of the "unguent/ointment/salve", and even google
> always provided with that one single word, which we use in Greece.
>
> So, I can't "feel" the difference each one of these words has when
> it's compared to the other.

The word /unguent/ is currently only used in technical contexts in
English so far as I know. It's a word a lot of people don't know.
/Salve/ feels like something you say of home or primitive remedies, or
of something hot that's applied with a pad. /Ointment/ is more common,
but it makes me think of stuff you sprinkle on your scalp, and it
implies greasiness or oiliness. /Cream/ and /paste/ are certainly the
most likely to be used in English, though /paste/ makes me think of
toothpaste, which isn't applied topically.

So I wouldn't continue trying to get a feel for the differences between
these, because native English speakers aren't likely to have a feel for
them either.