[tlhIngan Hol] 'eSpanya' QISmaS (Beginner's text and questions)

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 23:37:38 PST 2021

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 16:19, <luis.chaparro at web.de> wrote:

> Should I say for midnight *cha'maH loSlogh Qoylu'pu'* or something with
> *zero*?

Unclear, but in the newsgroup posting/HolQeD article where the {Qoylu'pu'}
idiom is explained, it says that the hours are labeled 1 through 24 in the
{tera' rep N} system, but says nothing about how midnight is labeled using
the {Qoylu'pu'} method, so I would assume it is {cha'maH loSlogh Qoylu'pu'}
(as otherwise I would've expected it to be noted). But I would accept
{paghlogh Qoylu'pu'} if I heard/saw it.

> And is there a way to tell the minutes when using *Qoylu'pu'*?

Not that we know. But the form of the idiom suggests not, since presumably
whatever is heard happens on the hour.

> As an aside: do we know how to ask for the time when we tell it as
> hundreds?

The "hundreds" system is explained in Conversational Klingon, where the
only way given to ask for time is to use {ghorgh}. The question {ghorgh
mamej} is used as an example in the section on questions, and later, in the
section about hotels (right after the section on telling time), the guest
asks {ghorgh pa'wIjDaq jIchegh}. Since the only time-telling system which
has been explained at this point is the "hundreds" system, presumably the
answer will be of that form.

However, in the hotel section, the Klingon clerk also says {vagh rep
bImejnIS} "Checkout time is 5 am", with no explanation of why {vagh rep} is
used or why it means "5 am" or why it wasn't {vaghvatlh rep}. (Maybe Okrand
accidentally dropped the {-vatlh} due to its visual similarity to {vagh}
when he was reading the script.) Presumably, this is what prompted the
newsgroup posting/HolQeD article, which begins <Actually, there are several
ways to ask "What time is it?" in Klingon. Here are a couple...>

--
De'vID