[tlhIngan Hol] 'eSpanya' QISmaS (Beginner's text and questions)

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Tue Nov 23 12:08:38 PST 2021

Thank you, as always, for your reply, SuStel!

> If 'IH is be beautiful, then 'IHqu' would be something like be incredibly gorgeous. Is this perhaps an exaggeration? I've noticed that people seem to always put -qu' on 'IH as if it were needed to mean beautiful. It isn't.

Some days ago I asked how I could say in Klingon "embellish" with the meaning of making something beautiful more beautiful, rather than making something that isn't beautiful, beautiful. You proposed *'IHqu'choHmoH*, but maybe it doesn't work in this context. Actually, at first I wanted to speak about decorating our cities, so I wanted to express that our cities are already beautiful, but we make them more beautiful at Christmas (not that they are not beautiful and become beautiful). Then I omitted this part and I only wrote about decorating homes. Probably, speaking about homes, *'IHchoHmoH* would have been enough?

>> 2. I wanted to use *'eSpanya''e'* as topic, but then I couldn't decide where I should place it. It's a noun with a Type 5 suffix. Time expressions come first. So I placed it after the time expression. However, my tendency was to say it at the beginning, before the time expression. Would that be right / possible?

(...)

> Your tendency is being informed by your native language, which works differently than Klingon. Klingon word order does not always feel natural, because none of us are native speakers.

Yes, I knew that's a tendency in Spanish or other languages, but I didn't know how it would be in Klingon. Thank you for your advice regarding this matter!