[tlhIngan Hol] *-moH* with verbs of state / quality

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Wed Nov 17 07:59:03 PST 2021

SuStel:

>> 1. We can use *-moH* or *-choHmoH* depending on wether we want to express or focus on the end result (*-moH*) or the change (*-choHmoH*) someone or something is causing.
> I wasn't stating a general rule; I was analyzing a specific sentence. Not all verbs will see a difference between an end result or a change. For instance, if I say tlhIngan Hol vIghojmoH I teach Klingon, I'm not focusing on an end result; I am just talking about an existing action. If I say tlhIngan Hol vIghojchoHmoH I start teaching Klingon, I am talking about the beginning of an action.
Don't look for a formulaic interpretation of combinations of suffixes. Analyze each verb as you find it.

Yes, sorry, with *end result* I was also thinking on just the effect of the causation and with *change* I also wanted to refer to starting doing something (as a *change* in a general sense). I should have specified it. But I understand what you mean, thank you!

And I hope I don't bother you, but could you please tell me just briefly wether what I said under points 2-4 is *generally* right? You don't have to go into detail, I would just like to know that I'm not entirely mistaken. But if you don't feel like answering, no problem! I perfectly understand it!